Something old, something new in Robbins

Photos show four examples of historic homes that were torn down, what replaced them

Series: Robbins Remade | Story 3

Village officials estimate about 31 homes have been torn down in the Robbins Park subdivision since it became a National Register Historic District in 2009.

Among those are the homes we're highlighting today with photos of the original structure and what was built in its place. All have been demolished since 2017.

n The home at 120 E. Fifth St. was an Italianate built in 1863 for William Robbins. Robbins was the second president of Hinsdale and was one of the individuals who signed the petition for village incorporation.

n The Furey family was the most recent resident of the home at 244 E. First St., a Colonial revival designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. The 1893 home was removed from the list of local landmarks in 2018 before it was torn down.

n The Italianate-style home at 720 S. Elm St., built in 1927, sat in a dilapidated state while awaiting demolition in 2022. The home's previous owner held a pre-demo sale, illegally stripping it of items such as a furnace and flooring and rendering in unlivable days before it sold in 2021, The Hinsdalean reported in March 2022.

n The home at 716 S. Oak St. was cited by many for prompting the village board to propose a six-month moratorium on the teardown of historic structures. Trustees ultimately voted against the moratorium after plan commissioners voted 4-2 against recommending it.