Presidential power - This photo in Sandy Williams' book, "Images of America - Hinsdale," is of Hinsdale's J.C.F. Merrill, who was one of Hinsdale's early village presidents. "Early homes and businesses relied on kerosene lamps to provide their lighting. In 1894, Hinsdale wanted to offer its residents electricity, but with several public improvements ongoing, it had issued its statutory limit of public works bonds. In an extraordinary move, Village President J.C.F. Merrill organized a consortium of resourceful residents an formed a privately held power company, Hinsdale Light and Power."