Luck certainly not limited to the Irish
Last updated 3/15/2023 at 3:13pm | View PDF
“If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, you’re lucky enough,” the popular saying goes.
In honor of St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow — and with no disrespect to the Irish — we’d like to offer our own twist on the saying.
“If you’re lucky enough to be a Hinsdalean, you’re lucky enough.”
And so, we offer up the following reasons — an incomplete list, we admit — that Hinsdaleans have to feel the sun shining on their faces and the wind always at their backs.
• the volunteers and philanthropists who are willing to share their time, talents and resources to benefit the wonderful nonprofits in town and throughout the Chicago area
• the wonderful nonprofits in town, the largest of which are Candor, Community Memorial Foundation, HCS Family Services the Hinsdale Historical Society, the Hinsdale Humane Society, The Community House and Wellness House
• more than 130 acres of parks offering opportunities to play at the playground; enjoy a game of tennis, pickleball, paddle tennis, disc golf, basketball or volleyball; have a picnic; watch a Little League game; just relax — and more
• a downtown business district with architecture worthy of its listing on the National Register of Historic Places and the opportunity to eat everything from sushi to sundaes and buy everything from scarves to skis
• the 13 churches at which people have the freedom to practice their religion without government interference
• an excellent hospital with more than 100 years of history that is now affiliated with one of Chicago’s premier teaching hospitals (UChicago Medicine AdventHealth Hinsdale)
• a chamber of commerce that sponsors a host of events, including the Fine Arts Festival, Christmas Walk and Uniquely Thursday concert series
• the best community newspaper of its size in the state for three years running (shameless plug)
• multiple opportunities to spend a quarter of a million dollars on a car without leaving village borders (once the McLaren dealership opens on Ogden Avenue)
• an old-fashioned outdoor community pool that offers swimming lessons, swim team practice and a place to gather during the warm summer months
• the chance to attend a District 86 candidates night tonight to learn more about those running for office (another shameless plug)
• police officers and firefighter/paramedics who are dedicated to serving village residents
• nationally recognized schools with wonderful teachers who work tirelessly to help all children reach their potential
• a public library that offers so much more than the opportunity to check out books
• a historic preservation incentive program designed to ensure as many historically significant homes as possible remain standing
• the chance to use the word “sesquicentennial” as the village celebrates its 150th birthday
Hinsdale just might be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.