Last updated 1/18/2023 at 4:23pm | View PDF
Devils rewrite record books
The Hinsdale Central boys swim program registered a total of 11 meet records at three different longstanding competitions on Jan. 7 and 14.
The following new top times were set at the 53rd annual Jim Wheelock College Events Jan. 7 at Hinsdale South:
• 3:30.5 in the 400-yard medley relay by Nate Harris, Nojus Bertulis, David Gao and Noah Priest
• 1:25.75 in the 200-yard freestyle relay by Vidar Carlbaum, Priest, Andrew Gilbert and Brody Marcet
• 7:03.82 in the 800-yard freestyle relay by Henry Guo, Priest, Harris and Noah Pelinkovic
The following record times were set at the 62nd annual Hinsdale Central Freshman Invite Jan. 7:
• 48.62 in the 100-yard freestyle by Matthew Vatev
• 1:41.77 in the 200-yard medley relay by Matthew Forsythe, Vatev, Blake Abbott and Brandon Suliga
• 1:29.85 in the 200-yard freestyle relay by Johnathan Feiro, Vatev, Teddy Chase and Suliga
• 3:19.79 in the 400-yard freestyle relay by Vatev, Feiro, Chase and Suliga
The following new marks were set at the 67th annual Trevian Relays Jan. 14 at New Trier:
• 1:34.28 in the 200-yard medley relay by Carlbaum, Harris, Bertulis and Marcet
• 1:36.7 in the 200-yard medley frosh/soph relay by Josh Bey, Vatev, Guo and Suliga
• 1:29.39 in the 200-yard freestyle frosh/soph relay by Suliga, Teddy Chase, Bey and Vatev
• 3:15.36 in the 400-yard freestyle frosh/soph relay by Guo, Chase, Suliga and Pelinkovic
BjorsoN’s TEAM IN Bahamas Bowl
Miami RedHawks football competed in the Bahamas Bowl Dec. 16, with Matt Bjorson representing Hinsdale.
Miami University of Ohio fell to the University of Alabama at Birmingham 20-24 in the HomeTown Lenders Bahamas Bowl. The game was broadcast live on ESPN.
This marked the RedHawks’ 14th overall bowl appearance. Most recently, Miami appeared in the Lending Tree Bowl in 2020 and the Frisco Football Classic in 2021.
Heading into the game, Miami was 6-6 overall, 4-4 in the Mid-American Conference.
CENTRAL RUNNERS TAKE FIRST
The Hinsdale Central boys cross country team, competing as “The Dale” outside of regular IHSA competitions, won the Nike Cross Country Midwest Regional team title with 123 points in Terre Haute, Ind., Nov. 13.
They competed against teams from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Missouri.
Dan Watcke came in 8th, Aden Bandukwala 12th, Jesse Gamboa 25th, Max Lowe 83rd, Michael Skora 87th, Nikita Kamenev 194th and Grant Miller 195th.
The team went on to place eighth with 260 points at the national meet in Portland, Ore., Dec. 3. Bandukwala came in 26th, Watcke 28th, Skora 96th, Lowe 110th, Gamboa 158th, Kamenev 176th and Miller 180th.
Photos appear online at http://www.facebook.com/thehinsdalean.
PLAYERS NAMED ALL-CONFERENCE
Hinsdale Central football players Kevin Connors, Michael Gallagher, Sean Lynch and Gavin Vandelune were named West Suburban Silver All-Conference Athletes for the 2022 Season.
Naisbitt in Hall of Fame
Social studies teacher and tennis coach John Naisbitt was ecently inducted into the University of Chicago Laboratory High School Athletics Hall of Fame. A member of the class of 1980, Naisbitt played four different sports and earned nine varsity letters throughout his time in high school.