"Keep the Wreath Red" with holiday fire safety
Last updated 11/30/2022 at 5:15pm | View PDF
The Hinsdale Fire Department is once again teaming up with the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association and neighboring fire departments in the “Keep the Wreath Red” program. This year, the program began Thanksgiving Day and continues through Monday, Jan. 9.
“Keep the Wreath Red” is a holiday fire safety program designed to increase fire safety awareness. A holiday wreath hangs just inside the Hinsdale Fire Station’s Mini Museum, which is the small building located near the entrance way of the main fire station at 121 Symonds Drive in Hinsdale. In the event of a holiday-related fire, firefighters will replace one of the red bulbs with a white one. The goal is to keep the bulbs on that wreath red.
Fire safety reminders for a safe holiday season include:
• Check all illuminated decorations to make sure they are in good condition, with no frayed or cracked wires.
• Keep live Christmas trees watered frequently. Always turn of the lights when leaving your home.
• Use extreme caution with holiday candles and all other open flames to assure they are safe and will not set fire to nearby objects.
• Make sure the fireplace is in good working order and the chimney is free from obstructions and creosote build-up.
• As always, check smoke detectors and make sure they are in good working order.