High schoolers invited to join Junior Advisory Board
Last updated 10/27/2021 at 3:29pm | View PDF
Calling all high school students! Are you interested in learning more about the Hinsdale Public Library and helping plan the kinds of programs you and your friends would enjoy? Consider joining our new Junior Advisory Board.
Starting in January 2022, the first small group of students to join will brainstorm ideas for library programs, assist our youth services staff with their popular summer reading club for kids and learn what goes on "behind the scenes" at the library. This is a great opportunity to meet like-minded students, give back to your community and build leadership skills.
The application to join will go live on the library's website (https://www.hinsdalelibrary.info) on Monday, Nov. 1.
One of the best parts of working in a library is connecting people to the information they need or the stories they crave. We also get to connect people to their neighbors with events that entertain, educate and introduce participants to new ideas. Here are some of the programs for adults we're most excited about:
• Join us in-person for our Maple Street Mixer '70s Game Night at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 3. If you know all the words to the "Welcome Back, Kotter" theme song, these are your people.
• Starting to plan for holiday shopping? Sooner is better than later this year, so you can't go wrong by attending our virtual "Holiday Gift Guide" program at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 17.
• We will welcome the legendary Leslie Goddard for her "Christmas at Marshall Fields" presentation at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 7. Relive the glory days of the Walnut Room, the window displays and photos with Santa in the Cozy Cloud Cottage. This program will take place on Zoom.
• Finally, we can't wait to welcome local author (and HPL board member) Dick Munson for a hybrid in-person/virtual book discussion on Jan. 13. His new book, "Tech to Table: 25 Innovators Reimagining Food," profiles entrepreneurs redefining what it means to farm. In-person space will be limited, so register early.
• Interested in keeping the little ones engaged? Our wonderful children's department hosts Zoom storytimes for babies and toddlers every Tuesday at 9:30 a.m., with a session for preschoolers following at 10:30 a.m.
During the week of Thanksgiving, we will have fun activities planned for kids Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. No spoilers, but a little turkey told us there might just be some pumpkin crafts. Check our website for more info.
For more information on programs and to register, visit https://hinsdalelibrary.info/events/. Include an email address for virtual events.
Can't make it? Not to worry - many of our programs are recorded for later viewing. You can find our wide range of previous programs at https://hinsdalelibrary.info/events/recordedprograms/.
- Lizzy Boden is the adult services manager at the Hinsdale Public Library.