Once upon a time
Last updated 7/7/2021 at 11:17am | View PDF
Early worship - From Sandy Williams' book, "Images of America - Hinsdale," comes this picture of the Swedish Evangelical Church. "Organized about 1889, the Swedish Evangelical congregation built this church at 18 E. Fourth St. At the time, summer school was also held here to teach biblical history and the Swedish language. The first service in English was offered in 1922; in 1935, Swedish services were discontinued altogether. A new church was built in 1931 at Fourth Street and Garfield Avenue (now Hinsdale Covenant Church), and a house replaced this structure four years later.