The Hinsdalean - Community journalism the way it was meant to be

Once upon a time

 

Last updated 5/5/2021 at 2:38pm | View PDF

Founding matters - William Robbins, generally regarded as the father of Hinsdale, purchased land from Chicago Avenue to 55th and Madison Street to County Line Road in 1862 for $9,000. "To be near his new venture, Robbins temporarily moved his family to Fullersburg," Sandy Williams writes in "Images of America - Hinsdale." "From here, he had direct supervision of Hinsdale's formation, from the street layout and grading to the tree planting and construction of his own estate. In 1863-64, on property near the grove on the county line, Robbins built the home he named "Woodside," shown here. The house still stands, altered by additions, at 425 E. Sixth St."

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 06/14/2021 22:33