HPL candidate Amy Glynn's election questionnaire
Last updated 3/5/2021 at 9:53am
SPRING 2020 ELECTION QUESTIONNAIRE
Name: Amy Glynn
Years in village: 7
Education: B.A. in Marketing and Communications
Occupation: Director of Total Rewards – Baker McKenzie
• Westport Women’s Club – Chair of Fundraising
• Dress for Success – Volunteer Job Coach
• Reading Tutor – Literacy Volunteers of Southern Connecticut
• Hinsdale Public Library – Board Member – 2017 – 2021
• Community Presbyterian Church – Chair of Finance and member of the Stewardship Committee
Why are you running for this particular seat at this particular time?
I feel it is important to give back and support the community which has so much to offer. The library provides services and programs to all residents and is an important pillar of the community.
What in your personal or professional experience has prepared you to be an effective board member?
In my positions in human resources, I have gain extensive skills in managing both teams and projects. I recognize that everyone on the board has an important role to play and while sometimes opinions may differ the job of the board is to come together to help the staff carry out the mission of the library.
What in your opinion are the board’s three most important responsibilities?
1. Most recently the most important job is to ensure the safety of the patrons and staff while dealing with Covid-19. The last 8 months have been evolving in terms of decisions and precautions and the staff has partnered with the board on all decisions.
2. Another important priority of the board is to ensure the financial health of the library. It is crucial to balance long-term needs against short-term priorities while delivering programs and services daily.
3. Managing the facilities and other assets. Due to the age of the building repairs are costly and planning on a 5 to 10 year timeline is required.
What is the library’s greatest strength? Which area is most in need of attention?
The library’s greatest strength is the staff. So much of what the library provides can be attributed to the dedicated and creative staff that is always looking for ways to engage all residents. As content continues to move to digital platforms the library is a hub of not just information but community involvement.
What is the most pressing budgetary matter the library will face over the next four years?
From a budget standpoint the most pressing issues have been addressed. Large scale facilities projects will require funding in the next 3 to 5 years but these have been budgeted for and will be covered under the capital budget.
What will be your top three priorities if elected?
See above under board priorities.
Please cite a recent board decision that you have agreed with and one that you have disagreed with and briefly explain your reason(s) why.
I have not disagreed with any board decisions but the response to Covid-19 has been very measured and involved both the board and staff.