Community journalism the way it was meant to be

Once upon a time

Hinsdale legacies - This photo from the archives of the Hinsdale Historical Society shows what the house at 132 N. Vine St. looked like when it was constructed in 1882 and when Hinsdale Cash Store co-owner Edgar Davis moved in with his wife Alice in 1887. German immigrants were settling in the village's west side in the late 19th century, and Davis and partner Heman Fox opened their grocery in downtown Hinsdale in 1892 with an eye on that clientele, selling goods like herring and limburger cheese. (photo courtesy of the Hinsdale Historical Society)