Community journalism the way it was meant to be

Once upon a time

Calling all cars - Hinsdale police and firefighters are honoring the village's 150th anniversary - and their forebears - by wearing throwback badges this year. When Hinsdale was founded in 1873, among the village officers was a "police magistrate." The village hired its first true policeman, C.P. Clark in 1877; his official title was constable. Star No. 1 was given in January 1888 to John Peter Linn, a native of Denmark who had come to Hinsdale five years earlier. This photo of the police department dates back to 1939. For more information on the retro badges, turn to the story on Page 7. (photo courtesy of the village of Hinsdale)

 
 
Rendered 03/03/2024 08:32