Once upon a time

 

Last updated 5/25/2022 at 4pm | View PDF

Early multi-use building - This photo in Sandy Williams' book, "Images of America - Hinsdale," is of the hook and ladder group in front of the town hall at 25 E. First St. about 1890. "The fire department began as a group of merchants who volunteered to protect the wooden buildings in the downtown area. Later, a hose company and separate hook and ladder group were established, merging in 1893 to form the Hinsdale Volunteer Fire Department." This building, constructed in 1887, housed the village office, jail and police and fire departments. In 1935 a new fire and police station was built, which today houses Hinsdale Bank & Trust. For more information about the building and its history, see the Hinsdale Legacies story on Page 5.


 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021