Last updated 2/2/2022 at 3:43pm | View PDF
HMS MUSICIANS CHOSEN TO PLAY
The Hinsdale Middle School Chamber Strings Orchestra was asked to be the Middle School Lab Orchestra for the Midwest International Band and Orchestra Conference, which has been held annually in Chicago each December for the last 75 years. This is a great honor, as only one middle school group each year is asked. No audition takes place; rather, the board of directors makes recommendations based on feedback from performances at the state conference in January 2020.
The orchestra performed Dec. 15 with the esteemed conductor Georgia Ekonomou, and met the composer of one of the pieces, Adrian Jordon, right before the performance. The orchestra was originally scheduled to play in 2020 but it was rescheduled to 2021 due to the pandemic.
GIRL SCOUTS MAKE DONATIONS
Girl Scout Troop 55694 conducted a food drive in December to benefit HCS Family Services.
They delivered bags of diapers, canned goods, toiletries and a check for $300.
The troop also donated $300 to Lurie’s Children’s Hospital and $300 to the Hinsdale Humane Society as part of a Philanthropy Shark Tank activity.
A photo appears online at https://www.facebook.com/thehinsdalean.
FOUNDATION FUNDS MENTAL HEALTH
The Community House received a $15,000 grant from the DuPage Foundation to expand group and individual therapy for 30 teens who live in the Willowbrook Corner Community.
The agency was one of six nonprofits in DuPage County to receive a total of $75,000 for mental health services and programs for children and teens. The grant opportunity developed after the foundation received a $75,000 gift last year from a donor who wished to remain anonymous and requested the funds be used to support mental health services in DuPage County.
COLLEGE STUDENTS ON DEAN’S LISTS
Several college students from Hinsdale have earned a place on the dean’s list or the equivalent for the fall 2021 semester at their respective colleges and universities.
• Nicholas Alfano, University of Iowa
• Ekatarina Antipov, University of Alabama
• Haley Arnold, University of Iowa
• Christina Aucoin, University of Iowa
• Sophia Biancalana, Belmont University
• Elijah Blacketor, Iowa State University
• Edward Brackett, University of Alabama
• William Bush, The Citadel**
• Sophia Cacciatore, Belmont University
• Meredith Callahan, University of Alabama*
• Jillian Coffey, University of Alabama
• Jacob Duba, Iowa State University
• Tess Ellithorpe, University of Iowa
• Olivia Fix, University of Alabama*
• Jenna Frizzell, University of Alabama
• Juliana Gee, University of Iowa
• Matthew Giacchetti, Emerson College
• Ryder Guido, Belmont University
• Lucy Hawblitzel, Iowa State University
• Joseph Leahy, University of Iowa
• Claire Livingston, University of Iowa
• Haley Lopez, University of Alabama
• Katherine Melvin, University of Alabama*
• Maxwell Midlash, University of Alabama*
• Luke Moran, Belmont University
• Dominic O’Neill, University of Alabama
• Sophie Palo, University of Iowa
• Charles Parse, University of Alabama*
• Matthew Ritz, University of Alabama*
• Julianne Roberts, University of Iowa
• Cade Sweeney, University of Alabama
* president’s list
** also received gold star