Last updated 7/7/2021 at 1:11pm | View PDF
HEIDECKE CLINIC hits RECORD total
The 23rd Annual Julie Heidecke Clinic, held virtually this year, raised a record high of more than $4,450 for the foundation that supports students from Hinsdale Central and Illinois State University.
Julie Heidecke graduated from Hinsdale Central in 1997. She was the captain of the soccer team and was an All-Conference selection her senior year. She went on to Illinois State University to continue her soccer career. Unfortunately, Julie died in 1998 at the age of 19 in a car accident.
Julie’s parents set up the Julie K. Heidecke Tribute Awards Foundation in her honor. The foundation provides scholarships for student-athletes at Hinsdale Central and Illinois State University who do their best to follow her path in commitment, spirit, determination, leadership, sportsmanship, academics, morality, and concern and service for others.
This year’s Julie K. Heidecke Award/Scholarship recipient was Lauren Oleferchik, captain of the varsity girls soccer team at Central.
HINSDALEANS EARN THEIR DEGREES
Several college students from Hinsdale received a degree from their respective college or university during spring 2021 commencement ceremonies.
• Jaena Hanley, bachelor’s, electrical engineering, Marquette University
• Jill Hoffman, doctorate (professional), physical therapy, Marquette University
• Jay Joyner, bachelor’s, astrophysics, Baylor University
• Nora Kiernan, bachelor’s, corporate communication, Marquette University
• Riley Knapp, bachelor’s, political science, Marquette University
• Katie Milani, bachelor’s, marketing, Marquette University
• Mira Shekaran, bachelor’s, exercise physiology, Marquette University
• Toni Strausser, bachelor’s, magna cum laude, business administration, Furman University
STUDENTS MAKE DEAN’S LISTS
Several Hinsdale students earned a place on the dean’s list or equivalent at their respective college or university for the spring 2021 term.
• Stanley Heimke, Carthage College
• Anna Hughes, University of Georgia*
• Katherine Hughes, University of Georgia*
• Joshua Kirkham, Bradley University
• Christopher Klimkowski, Baylor University
• Lia Reichmann, Drake University
• Thomas Willemse, Fairfield University
* presidential scholar
COLLEGE STUDENT WINS AWARD
Katherine Marcotte of Hinsdale received the Egeland Scholarship as part of Wheaton College’s Honors Convocation.
Named in honor of English Professor Emeritus Paul Egeland, recipients must be accepted into the Wheaton Teacher Education Program, demonstrate academic strength, intend to teach after graduation and possess a global perspective.