What are you doing New Year's Eve?
From noon countdowns to decadent dinners, many options exist for toasting 2020
Last updated 12/23/2019 at 4:12pm | View PDF
Spots in Hinsdale and nearby towns are offering a variety of ways to ring in the new year - whether you want to celebrate at noon or midnight.
Count down with the kiddos
• Start the New Year's Eve celebration a little early with games, prizes and a special countdown to noon - complete with a toast - at the Hinsdale Public Library, 20 W. Maple St. The fun begins at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, call (630) 986-1976 or visit https://www.hinsdalelibrary.info/events.
• The entire family can ring in the New Year at Bubble Bash: A Kid-Friendly New Year's Eve from 9 a.m. to noon at the DuPage Children's Museum, 301 N. Washington St., Naperville.
Wendy and DB, an award-winning children's music duo, will have families singing, dancing and jumping along with their original songs and upbeat lyrics. The Bach to Rock DJ will keep the energy high with family-friendly music throughout the event. Special activities will be offered and the action-packed morning concludes with a lively countdown to noon.
Tickets are $25. Call (630) 637-8000 or visit https://www.dupagechildrens.org.
• Enjoy the final night of Holiday Magic and celebrate the new year at the family-friendly Zoo Year's Eve at Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St.
A live DJ sets the party tone in the Holly Jolly Theater, as do fun games, party favors, prizes and an early countdown at 8 p.m. At Hamill Family Play Zoo, youngsters can make noisemakers and enjoy an early kid-friendly countdown at 7:30 p.m. - especially great for families with children age 6 and younger.
Holiday Magic hours are 4 to 9 p.m. Admission is $21.95, $15.95 for children ages 3-11 and seniors 65 and older, and free for children 2 and younger. Parking is $14.
For more information, call (708) 688-8000 or visit https://www.czs.org.
A celebration of sound
The New Philharmonic will present its annual New Year's Eve concerts at the McAninch Arts Center, 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn.
The orchestra, under the baton of Maestro Kirk Muspratt, will welcome as its special guest Lyric Opera's Ryan Opera Center sensation Annie Rosen, mezzo-soprano. Following each performance, audience members will have the opportunity to join Muspratt and the performers in the lobby for a "Cookies with Kirk" reception to exchange best wishes for 2020.
Rosen will be featured in "Mon Coeur" from Camille Saint-Saens' "Samson and Delilah," "Doing What Comes Naturally" from Irving Berlin's popular musical "Annie Get Your Gun" and more. She also will lead the audience in a rousing singalong of the traditional "Auld Lang Syne." The program also includes music by Johan Strauss Sr., Strauss II, Hellmesberger, Richard Rodgers, John Williams and a few special surprises.
Concerts are offered at 2, 5:30 and 9 p.m. Tickets are $67.
Call (630) 942-4000 or visit https://www.atthemac.org.
Dine on delicacies
• Roar into the 2020s in style with some 1920s-inspired cocktails in addition to indulgent holiday specials at Vistro, 112 S. Washington St., Hinsdale. The regular a la carte menu will be available as well.
For reservations call (630) 537-1459 or visit https://www.resy.com.
• Il Poggiolo, 8 E. First St., will open at 4 p.m. with chef's specials as well as regular menu items available throughout the evening. A party for children begins at 5 p.m. with party favors and a countdown at 7 p.m. The special menu is $45 for adults and $20 for children.
Call (630) 347-9400 for reservations or visit https://www.ilpoggiolohinsdale.com.
• Enjoy unlimited champagne in addition to the finest selection of seasonal teas, scones and desserts at a New Year's Eve afternoon tea at 3 p.m. at the Lucille Restaurant, 100 Drury Lane, Oakbrook Terrace. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance. The cost is $40, $30 for children 12 and younger.
The restaurant also is offering a decadent multi-course dinner, with seatings at 3, 6 and 9 p.m., and a New Year's Day brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost is $45, $20 for kids ages 6-12, and $15 for kids ages 3-5.
For more information, call (630) 530-8300 or visit https://www.lucillerestaurant.com